Financial Products Usage
A license agreement with Nikkei Inc. is required to create and market financial products, such as investment trusts or structured bonds, which use the Nikkei Indexes.
Examples of Usage
Investment Trusts and ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds)
- Index funds and ETFs that track the performance of the Nikkei Indexes
- Investment trusts that invest in the Nikkei Indexes themselves or its constituents.
- Investment trusts that use the performance of the Nikkei Indexes as a trigger to change their investment policies.
Linked bonds, warrants, and other derivative transactions
Linked bonds, warrants, deposits, insurance, and other derivative transactions and products which redemption amount/timing, interests, payouts or other specifications are determined by the performance of the Nikkei Indexes.
Futures and Options Trading
Exchange listed futures and options contracts of the Nikkei Indexes.
- The Nikkei Asia300 Index, Nikkei Asia300 ASEAN Index, and Nikkei Asia300 Country Indexes are for news reporting purposes only and are not available for financial products. Use the "Nikkei Asia300 Investable Index" for financial products.
- Some Nikkei Indexes may be licensed only to a specific licensee for a certain period of time.
- The license agreement is required not only for the cash Nikkei Indexes, but also index futures, options, and financial products using ETFs.
- Currently, the license is not granted to the OTC CFDs (Contracts for Difference) underlying of which is the Nikkei Indexes.
Click here to inquire about a license agreement for the financial product
If you would like to create a financial product using the Nikkei Indexes, please send us an outline of the product by clicking the inquiry button below. We will confirm the purpose of use and guide you through the necessary procedures. You may launch the products after conclusion of the agreement with Nikkei inc.
Can I use "Nikkei 225" or "Nikkei Stock Average" in the name of financial products?
Yes. You can use "Nikkei 225" or "Nikkei Stock Average" as part of the name of a financial product, but only "Nikkei" cannot be used.
Can I create a financial product using a new index a part of which is the Nikkei Stock Average"?
Nikkei does not permit a third party to create a new index using the Nikkei Stock Average.
However, a license may be granted to a financial product which is based on the investment strategy where the Nikkei Stock Average is involved. Please inquire details.
Please note general matters (disclaimer) below to use The Nikkei Indexes
- The Nikkei Indexes, which is calculated by a method independently developed by Nikkei Inc. (hereinafter "Nikkei"), is a copyrightable work. Nikkei owns the copyright and any other intellectual property rights in The Nikkei Indexes themselves, and the method for calculating The Nikkei Indexes and the like.
- The Nikkei Indexes are maintained and operated according to its own rules set by Nikkei Inc. Nikkei Inc. strive to maintain and improve the functionality and neutrality of the indexes through periodic reviews of the constituent stocks and the establishment of an index committee.
- All ownership of trademarks and any other intellectual property rights with respect to marks representing "Nikkei Inc.," "Nikkei," and The Nikkei Indexes belongs to Nikkei. Nikkei has registered the trademark of 日経平均株価（the Nikkei Stock Average in Japanese） since July, 1993 and has registered its service mark since May, 1995 in Japan. "Nikkei Stock Average" and "Nikkei225" have been registered in major foreign countries.
- Nikkei is not obliged to continuously publish The Nikkei Indexes, nor is it liable for any error or delay in, or discontinuation of the publication thereof.
- Nikkei owns the right to change the content of The Nikkei Indexes, such as the calculation method thereof, and the right to suspend the publication thereof.
- Nikkei does not give any warranty, nor is it responsible for any and all financial instruments and the like, which are based on, or otherwise refer to, The Nikkei Indexes.
Other form of Indexes usage
(for information Service)
Displaying on media such as websites, mobile apps, books, reports, and presentation materials
The Nikkei Indexes can be used in a variety of media, including websites, apps, videos, books, reports, and presentations to communicate market trends. It may also be used in a variety of ways, from real-time updates to using only the closing price.More details
Using as inputting data for algorithmic trading or management of profit and loss
The Nikkei Indexes can be used in a variety of automatic and arithmetic processing in non-display format, including the judgement in the financial trade, risk management in investment, analysis of markets, pricing of derivatives linked to Nikkei Indexes.More details